The Arbors Gives Back is a nonprofit, philanthropic organization dedicated to raising funds to serve the needs of the local community.
At The Arbors, we strive to enrich the lives of our residents. Our efforts to maintain an active profile in the community reflects this goal. We believe that our residents receive a sense of purpose and well-being when they can affect positive change.
By forming alliances with Arbors employees, residents, their families and local businesses, The Arbors Gives Back regularly raises funds for numerous organizations, including Meals on Wheels and local senior centers. Since its founding, The Arbors’ assisted living and memory care communities have hosted craft fairs, raffles, knitting groups, and walking clubs — all organized and staffed by dedicated residents, employees, and families and all benefiting the local communities. Here’s a look at some of the most memorable Arbors Give Back events over the past decade.
- Since its founding in 2008, The Arbors Gives Back Golf Tournaments have raised more than $110,550 for the Alzheimer’s Association.
- In 2013, The Arbors at Westfield presented Noble Hospital’s Comprehensive Breast Care Program with $4,000 to support the program’s work in the field of women's health.
- The Arbors at Chicopee hosted a Spring Sip and Shop event in 2016 in honor of Mother’s Day and raised more than $1,000 for the Alzheimer's Association. Seventeen local vendors displayed items for sale, and more than 50 people shopped for the cause.
- In May and June 2018, we held our Bucks for BRCA fundraiser. All proceeds went to support life-saving research at the BRCA Foundation.
- In May, which is Lupus Awareness Month, of 2019 The Arbors Gives Back hosted a 10K and 2-mile family walk in Longmeadow, Massachusetts. More than 150 community members participated, and the event raised over $15,000 for the Lupus Foundation of America.
- A big portion of The Arbors Gives Back is the holiday charity The Arbors Believes. Every year, we hold a very popular calendar sale, with all proceeds going to The Arbors Believes. Each Arbors location chooses a local community charity to whom we donate clothes, food and gifts.
How We Got Started
The Arbors Gives Back was founded in 2008 after Sondra Jones, Marketing Director of The Arbors at Chicopee, and Lisa Holt, Executive Director, were searching for a way to connect the assisted living residents to the local community. Sondra and Lisa, along with fellow employees, residents and local businesses joined together to host the first fundraising event. In one evening, a dinner dance called “A Night to Remember” raised more than $3,000 for the Alzheimer’s Association.
The momentum was started, and with the persistence and vision of Sondra and Lisa, there was no stopping it. Soon there were craft fairs, raffles, knitting groups and walking clubs in each of the Arbors locations, all organized and staffed by dedicated residents, employees and families.
Since its humble beginnings, The Arbors Gives Back has continued with our mission to serve the needs of our residents by helping them to serve the needs of the community. We believe the desire to serve is innately human and knows no age.